There are plenty of people who sleep next to their cell phones at night, and there are plenty of people who don't sleep next to their cell phones at night. For the purposes of this article, we are going to jump on Team Cell Phone's side.
Believe it or not, your trusty sidekick -- you know, your smartphone -- brings plenty of benefits to the table when it comes to sleeping. While many people would look at a cell phone as an annoyance when it comes to sleep, that isn't always the case.
Now, we aren't saying you should be playing on your phone during the middle of the night. In fact, we don't think you should use your phone shortly before you go to sleep. However, we are saying there are benefits of sleeping next to your smartphone, and you can find some of those benefits below.
The Benefits Of Sleeping Next To Your Cell Phone At Night
- It can be used as an alarm clock ... an alarm clock that won't mess up if the power happens to go out. On top of that, you can put a sleep reminder on your phone so you can ensure that you go to bed at the same time every night.
- Sleeping next to your phone is handy just in case an emergency comes up. With that said, if you don't have your phone on silent, then notifications, incoming calls and texts could keep you up at night. The best thing to do? Turn on the do not disturb mode, and then allow calls from your top contacts (such as family members and close friends).
- There are plenty of playlists (and songs in general) that help you get to sleep. If you have trouble getting to sleep at night, why wouldn't you take advantage of this feature? If music with lyrics is too distracting and will actually keep you up, then you can listen to noises/nature sounds that are specifically designed to help you sleep at night.
- While it's not ideal to be on your phone in the middle of the night, people tend to do a lot of their thinking in bed. If you have a great idea in mind, then you can write it down in your phone so you don't forget it in the morning.
- There are certain apps that can monitor your sleep habits.
Smartphones aren't all bad when it comes to sleeping next to them at night. With that said, we recommend that you don't play with them, or other bright screens, before bedtime, or while you are actually in bed. Turning on the do not disturb mode is also essential, especially if you go to sleep before your friends and family.